This column is a bit short and lacking in flair because one, I am siiiiiiick, and two, it’s my birthday! And apparently I celebrate by reading unreleased Catherynne M. Valente books rather than working on my column. So here we go.
1. An awesome comic teasing Neil Gaiman about his amazing success.
2. An excerpt from George R.R. Martin’s upcoming The Winds of Winter. It is due out sometime this year.
3. And here’s some video documentaries about The Wheel of Time:
4. A fascinating diagram of the most and least likely developments in the next 150 years. Is science fiction getting it right?
5. A fantastic list of books to look forward to in 2013. This list focuses on more literary science fiction and fantasy, and I have to say, I already had several of these on my list, and I’ve added several more.
6. Since I suffer from depression, I am always interested in how other people deal with the illness. Here, Catherynne M. Valente discusses her ongoing dealings with the disease. As more and more people speak out about mental illnesses, I hope the stigma can be removed.
And now I need cake. Mmmmmm, cake.